Pre-Natal / Post Natal Adjusting
Chiropractic care during pregnancy and delivery is vital to maximize the normal physiological function of both the mother and baby. “Entrainment” is the process by which one person’s nervous system drives another’s. Therefore, everyday chemical, physical, and emotional stresses that subluxate a pregnant woman, also affect her developing child. Consequently, the more-free of subluxation the mother is, the better it is for her developing child.
Benefits of chiropractic care for the pregnant mother:
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments.
- Relieves back and neck discomfort/pain during pregnancy by eliminating stresses in the spine and restoring balance to the pelvis.
- Removes tension on the ligaments that support the uterus thus reducing torsion (intrauterine constraint) to the women’s uterus.
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nerve system which controls and coordinates all of her systems and functions.
- Allows for a safer, easier labor and delivery for the mother and child.
- Decreases the need for medical intervention during childbirth.
- Reduces the length of labor.
Benefits of chiropractic care for the unborn child:
- Removes interference to the mother’s nerve system allowing for unobstructed development of the baby.
- Removes intrauterine constraint, allowing the baby the room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures.
- Offers the baby the room to move into the best possible position for birth.
- With proper fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in dystocia (difficult labor) and the resulting potential birth trauma caused by emergency intervention.
How can Chiropractic help me during pregnancy?
Pre-existing unnoticed imbalances in your spine and pelvis become overtaxed when pregnant. The added stresses lead to discomfort and difficulty while performing routine, daily activities. Chiropractic care throughout pregnancy can relieve and even prevent the common discomforts experienced in pregnancy. At Infinity Wellness, we give specific adjustments to eliminate the stresses in your spine, restore balance to your pelvis, which result in greater comfort and lifestyle improvements.
The way the growing baby can stress out a pregnant woman’s body is primarily by the weight coming down on her low back and sacrum. The force of gravity acting on the fetus and pushing it downward is an incredible pressure on the lumbar spine, which can ultimately lead to the spinal joints in the area fixating. Remember that fixated joints are called subluxations, and subluxations lead to decreased motion and pain. Subluxations also lead to an increase in muscle spasms and inflammation. But most ominously subluxations can irritate sensitive nerve tissue, which can lead to excruciating pain and disability.
The musculoskeletal discomfort of pregnancy typically begins in trimester two. As the baby starts growing, pregnant women are instructed to not lie in the supine position, or flat on their backs. The problem with doing so is that the weight of the baby can come down on the inferior vena cava (the main vein returning blood to the heart), cutting off the blood supply to the uterus. This can ultimately compromise the pregnancy.
Being unable to lie flat on their backs or their bellies, pregnant women must try to get comfortable either on their sides or in the Fowler’s position, which is essentially on their backs but at an upright angle. Either way, comfort for mama becomes a fleeting luxury.